Go to footer

Vacuum forming...

Här diskuterar vi allt som har med dräkter och tillverkning av dessa att göra.

Vacuum forming...

Postby tb5573 » 18:39 16-12-2008

Hi guys,

Sorry but I'll have to write this one in English, no idea how to say this stuff in Swedish ;)

As most of you know I've done a Darth Maul costume and, I think, it looks pretty damn good! We made a huge step forward on the makeup front this weekend when I ran a compressor and airbrush for the first time for the big black areas at the back and roudn teh neck and then the red on the face. The problem is that you can't do all the detail pieces with an airbrush so it takes ages with a normal brush.

There is, however, hope for some serious time saving. Another 501st member in the US came up with the idea of making a mould of his head then vacuum forming some face templates. These are then cut into 4 or 5 different patterns which you hold over your face then just airbrush them.

Problem is that I can't do vacuum forming. Does anyone have the skills and would be willign to help me out? I can provide more details of what I need and it should be pretty straight forward.

Thanks
Andrew
tb5573
Wannabe!

Postby Darth Lars » 22:27 16-12-2008

A certain Jedi Master from Finland that we met this weekend has done some vacuum forming, including the Jedi pouches that he wears with that costume. ;)

I have heard that Janne Sandin should know some guys at a firm in Gothenburg who does it. They cast Jedi-W's Rebel Commando helmet.

Perhaps you could make the mold in Stockholm and post it to the vacuum-former. I have heard that Kreatima has the right type of casting plaster (not "modellgips" - stronger stuff!) that would be suitable for the mold.

If you find anyone locally, please let me know! There are LOTS of stuff that I would like made.. :)
Darth Lars
Stor Samlare!

Postby tb5573 » 08:13 17-12-2008

I've already been to Kreatima and bought the stuff. It's called alginate. I'll let you know if I get a result. I'll chekc with Tape and send the cast to him if he can do it.
tb5573
Wannabe!

Postby jingate » 12:52 17-12-2008

Alginate is for the negative of your face. You then need to cast it in a VERY hard paster. (Tip: try contacting dental supply firms or specialty artist stores.) You can't use the regular hobby shop plaster because it is much too brittle.

If you have a large enough oven, you could possibly make the plastic shell yourself. The method is that you (somehow) place a large sheet of ABS or HDPS plastic over your lifecast and put it in the oven at low temperature- just enough so that the plastic melts/sags down to cover the face. A lot of model builders use this method for making small canopies and stuff.
jingate
Seriös Samlare

Postby Nils » 14:54 17-12-2008

Try http://www.kinn.com/
They have always helped me in these matters.
Nils
Seriös Samlare

Postby tb5573 » 16:12 17-12-2008

Thanks for the tip folks.
tb5573
Wannabe!

Postby TK518 » 22:13 17-12-2008

After you've done the alginate cast you should be able to to put normal plasterbandages on it and then add another layer of fibreglass&resin to keep the mold intact.

Not sure how on what material to use when making the posetive mold for vacuuming later on though..
TK518
Nordic Garrison, 501st
"You can run from me... but you'll just die tired"

Join the Empire!
TK518
Stor Samlare!

Postby Darth Lars » 22:19 17-12-2008

jingate wrote:You then need to cast it in a VERY hard paster.

That is what I was referring to. Kreatima has got the "model shop" plaster upstairs, and the hard plaster downstairs. I have only used the soft variety, myself, though.

jingate wrote:The method is that you (somehow) place a large sheet of ABS or HDPS plastic over your lifecast and put it in the oven at low temperature- just enough so that the plastic melts/sags down to cover the face.

This is how I made my X-wing chest box, but it did not catch all the details of my mold, so I still had to go in an tweak it by hand.
Btw. Peros.se has styrene sheets. I have picked it up at their (ware)house in Danderyd in north Stockholm.
Darth Lars
Stor Samlare!

Postby Jedi-W » 21:50 04-01-2009

The company I used was actually the workshop at the Operahouse in Gothenburg. I have a friend who works there. That machine is huge and used to make large surfaces for backgrounds on stage.

Not the easiest place to get in to. :wink:
Jedi-W
Wannabe!

Postby tb5573 » 00:03 05-01-2009

Thx for the help so far guys, I've got some great pointers. The one thing I still need though is someone who can do the vacuum forming once I've made a cast. Anyone?
tb5573
Wannabe!

Return to Board index

Return to Film Dräkter